Keeping your resume and online profile up to date and tailored to the types of positions you are interested in is important for several reasons:
- Relevance: Recruiters and hiring managers receive a large number of resumes and online profiles, so it’s important to ensure that your information is relevant to the position you are applying for. Tailoring your resume and online profiles to the specific requirements of the job will make it more likely that you will be considered for the position.
- Keyword optimization: Applicant tracking systems (ATS) are implemented by employers and recruitment companies at large to sort and filter resumes and online profiles. These systems rely on keywords to identify qualified candidates. By tailoring your resume and online profiles to include relevant keywords, you increase your chances of being selected for further review by the hiring manager.
- Highlighting relevant skills and experience: Tailoring your resume and online profiles to the types of positions you are interested in allows you to highlight the skills and experience that are most relevant to those positions. This makes it more likely that you will be seen as a good fit for the job and will increase your chances of being selected for an interview.
- Current information: By keeping your resume and online profiles up to date, you ensure that the information provided is current and reflects your most recent experiences and qualifications. This can be important for recruiters who are trying to assess your qualifications for a current job opening.
- Showing your enthusiasm and engagement : By keeping your resume and online profile updated, you demonstrate to recruiters and hiring managers that you are actively looking for job opportunities and are engaged in your job search. This can make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.
- Keeping you aware of your own skills and experience: The process of updating your resume and online profile will also help you to identify your own skills and achievements, which can be useful for future job applications and for career development in general.