Here’s how to ace audio-only interviews:
- Get dressed as if going to an in-person interview. Why? It creates professional attitude and mindset.
- Don’t slouch on the couch. Chair and table/desk or stand and/or pace. Standing promotes voice projection.
- Quiet room; no interruptions.
- Wear earphones or pods to eliminate background noise.
- Silence all other notifications on phone and laptop (if open).
- Laptop, pen and paper, and a copy of your CV/Resume.
- Have written prompts ready especially for the questions that you wish to ask.
- Have a glass of water at hand.
- Don’t eat, smoke or chew gum.
- Answer the phone correctly. eg. “Good morning/afternoon. This is FULL NAME speaking.”
- If it’s a phone panel interview, you need to attach voice to name very quickly, and use them when you address each interviewer.
- Thank the interviewer(s) for their time at the end of the call.
- Send a follow-up “Thank you” email within 6-8 hours.
Smiles can be seen but also “heard!”
All other usual interview protocols apply.
Remember that interviews are a 2-way conversation, so don’t YOU perceive them as interrogations! Courtesy | #KB Kirsty Bonner.