Blindfolded and under pressure, the group must work together in a race against the clock to put up a tent. Blindfold tent build is a great challenge for developing communication and leadership skills.
Equipment Required: Basic 2-man tent
Space Required: Medium. Indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 4 to 6 ideally. For larger groups split them into teams and use more tents. If you don’t have the tents available, then do a time trial with teams competing against each other.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief.
- 10 minutes to practice and discuss
- 20 minutes to complete the challenge
- 5 minutes to review.
- Explain to the group that they will need to work together and build the tent as a team; however, they will be blindfolded.
- Allow the team time to familiarise themselves with the tent and let them practice putting it up a couple of times.
- Give blindfolds to everyone in the group.
- The team leader selected is handcuffed, not allowed to touch anything but can give instructions.
- Begin the challenge. Allow 15-20 minutes to complete the challenge.
If you need to make it more challenging for the group, tell them that they cannot use words to communicate – only sounds (ensure you tell them this during the initial discussion phase).